Monday, July 11, 2011

Learning about varieties of Morning Glories...

It's almost like a scientific experiment, but that wasn't my intention when I started the project to try and find maintenance free, hearty, possibly perennial vine solutions for the birdhouse posts and the trellis under the porch.  I just wanted to get a variety of blooms and colors, and increase my odds at success.   I took several packets of morning glory seeds including:  Moonflower, two  tall/early blooming bunches (one of purples and one of the pink) variety, Heavenly Blue, Grandpa Ott, and Scarlett O'Hara and soaked them overnight.  I mixed them all up and planted them around my porch skirt/trellis, and within three weeks they are already climbing, and some are doing clearly better than others.  It also looks like there is a variety that is more prone to being eaten then others.  I can't wait to see if what I'm seeing in the foliage is consistent with the bloom variety.   I'd love to hear from fellow enthusiasts about their experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment